Measuring time.

I'm wondering how measuring time first came about & thought of sundials as probably the first concepts of a watch & at night they'd probably watch the stars to tell the time. In Africa, the Ishango bone of Uganda (9000-6500 BC) & the Lebombo Bone of Swaziland (42 000 BC) are probably the oldest time measuring artefacts in the world. 



But why isn't a minute just simply 100 seconds, an hour 100 minutes? This would make a day 8 hours & 64 minutes. I think this comes from ancient civilisations who didn't have the time measuring luxuries we have today. If we would change to this 8 hour day of mine, many would probably miss the comfort of a 24 hour day anyway. Maybe I should just coin this as the Mthoko Mpofana day scale & start making devices that measure the day with 8 hours & 64 minutes & see if anyone is keen to buy into it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History of South Africa.

Talks with Mthoko...

Why countries should consider planning for the future based on present patterns.