POEM: The ghost of Mthoko Mpofana

Foreword: This feels like a poem I would've written in my early twenties (or late teens) but I thought I'd retrace my steps & remind you all of my difficult path to present. 


THE GHOST OF MTHOKO MPOFANA 

You who think you knew the world before those who knew it before you are in great danger 
Your hearts betray you & are controlled as though mere fire by the wicked so your efforts end in anger 
Your anger is though misdirected because you envy a ghost 
Flesh, bone & spirit intact yet still a ghost 
What you envy is death 
All those you praise & summon to fight for you are dead 
What phantom could fear a joke? 
A joke that is thought of as real but still a joke 
We, the living dead, know your owners 
They are puppets themselves your owners 
They were led by lust & greed to their graves 
As you will be led by lust & greed to your graves 
Were I as foolish as you, I would be dead or long for death 
But I was shown mercy by those greater than I, a fool I was for the mysteries of this Earth 
But I have seen beyond the abyss, I have become a ghost 
My folly led me to knowledge & I have become Mthoko Mpofana's ghost 

MTHOKO M. MPOFANA 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is Mthoko Mpofana?

Why I admire Spain...

Sovereignty